Streaming Media Manager
Essential Duties Include:
- Supervise a staff of media specialists, setting goals and schedules, and monitoring achievement of both.
- Live and on-demand streaming media system design, architecture and problem solving to ensure growing audio and video needs of NPR are met.
- Act as the key point of contact for all live streaming of audio and video on NPR digital platforms for breaking news, special programming and other events. Manage resources to provide recording, editing and encoding of live media for publishing to NPR digital platforms.
- Manage the process of producing encoded audio segments from radio programming and original digital content.
- Set standards to maximize the quality, accuracy and timeliness of encoded audio and video files and supervise the application of appropriate encoding settings to ensure an optimum user-experience across all digital platforms.
- Manage the process of archiving digital audio and video files for long-term storage and re-use in a production environment.
- Act as key point-of-contact for production requests of the team. Serve as liaison to other groups within technology unit as well as digital news, music and library staff.
- Act as key technical contact for 3rd party services related to the encoding and streaming of audio and video content.
- Supervise the Tier 1 Support process for responding to technical issues related to audio and video on NPR.org and mobile platforms.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Four years experience editing audio and video in a 24/7 news, sports or entertainment environment.
- Experience with encoding and streaming audio and video
- Two years experience working directly with CDNs to implement media delivery services.
- Excellent communication skills, adept at interpersonal, organizational, and external communication and communication strategies.
- Expertise in designing architectures for live and on-demand streaming.
- Demonstrated ability and experience with digital audio editing software: Sony Sound Forge, DAVID, or equivalent.
- Demonstrated ability and experience with digital video editing software: Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, Sony Vegas, or equivalent.
- Experience with enterprise level encoding software and multi-format audio and video codecs.
- Four years experience with various computer operating systems, including Windows and Mac OS.
- Working Knowledge of TCP/IP networking, FTP, Web and Streaming servers.
- Ability to effectively work as a member of a team of diverse individuals working under tight deadline pressure.
- Flexibility to work non-standard business hours.
About the Company
A thriving media organization at the forefront of digital innovation, NPR creates and distributes award-winning news, information, and music programming to a network of 959 independent stations. Through them, NPR programming reaches 26.4 million listeners every week.