Sr. Software Engineering Manager – HSN Digital Media
St. Petersburg, FL
This Sr. Software Engineering Manager leads a mixed team of software engineers, systems engineers and QA analysts, in a fast paced and dynamic environment, focusing on all aspects of video across HSN’s digital screens (hsn.com, mobile apps, tablets, etc.), HSN Shop by Remote (SbR), and connected TV applications. This individual often collaborates at an enterprise level with TV, Broadcast, and Content/Creative teams and is involved in all stages in the video life cycle: acquisition, creation, production, delivery and archiving. This position requires a Sr. Manager with technical hands-on experience who can work in a fast-paced dynamic environment.
- Maintains the overall Digital Media Portfolio, including application development, systems configuration, and quality assurance for all video related initiatives, as well as SbR/Connected TV applications.
- Develops, maintains and supports a digital asset management system for all video/image assets across the enterprise and the related workflows to support both existing and new business processes.
- Manages Content Delivery Networks (CDNs) for both live video streaming as well as On-Demand.
- Develops and maintains video encoding platforms for both live and on-demand video utilizing both Inlet and Agility encoding technologies.
- Develops and supports custom video workflows which support HSN’s second channel, HSN2.
- Develops and maintains a custom universal video player with the objective of standardizing the player across all screens for both live and on-demand videos.
- Develops a set of APIs around existing video services and expose them to HSN’s digital platforms.
- Builds video analytics for deeper insights into customer behavior.
- Manages both dynamic workflows and project plans, reviews and establishes technical specifications, assigns tasks and manages groups/teams.
- Drives both technical and business milestones, coordinating activities with other groups, including TV, Broadcast, and HSN Digital.
- Develops custom video applications and modifies existing applications to meet distinct and changing business requirements.
- Assists with project planning, project definition, requirements definition, analysis, design, testing, system documentation and user training.
- Establishes short and mid-term work plans and optimizes resources to ensure that work objectives (e.g. productivity, quality and cost) are consistently met. Sets expectations and goals for individual staff members.
- Provides guidance and coaching to employees, with responsibility for employee career development.
- Coordinates with non-technical groups to prioritize requests, sets expectations and optimizes quality, consistency and productivity.
- Interfaces with Leadership to define staffing, tools, infrastructure, and technologies; analyzes problems from a top down approach and implements efficient solutions.
- Bachelor’s Degree or determined applicable amount of technical experience.
- 5-7 years of experience managing software development teams.
- Strong understanding of the Software Development Lifecycle.
- Object-oriented and other common application design patterns.
- Waterfall and Agile methodologies.
- Video-Centric application development.
- Application development for one or more new media technology (e.g. Interactive TV, Video on Demand, Broadband TV, Mobile).
- Content Delivery Networks such as Akamai, LimeLight, or Mirror Image.
- Digital video compression standards such as MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.264, or VC-1.
- SOA using XML Web Services, as well as multi-threaded Windows Service applications.
- .Net framework with C# (1.1 and 2.0), both within and outside the ASP.Net environment.
- Forward thinker with strong business acumen.
- Collaborative working style and the ability to work well in small teams.
- Ability to design and assist in the timely delivery of high-quality software.
- Ability to work in a fast paced / dynamic team environment with the time management skills to meet schedules.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, as well as interpersonal skills to support interaction with internal customers, team members, and internal Leadership.
- Willingness to participate in after-hour and on-call support.
About the Company
HSN, Inc. (Nasdaq: HSNI) is a $3 billion interactive multichannel retailer with strong direct-to-consumer expertise and operates two business segments, HSN and Cornerstone. HSNi offers innovative, differentiated retail experiences on TV, online, via mobile, in catalogs, and in brick and mortar stores. HSN delivers a curated assortment of exclusive products and top brand names, and broadcasts live 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 364 days a year, reaching approximately 95 million homes. HSN.com is a top 10 most trafficked digital site that creates a unique experience by leveraging content, community and commerce. In addition to its existing media platforms, HSN is an industry leader in transactional innovation, offering services such as HSN Shop by Remote®, the only service of its kind in the U.S.; mobile applications, including HSN apps for iPad®, iPhone®, Android™; and HSN on Demand®. Cornerstone comprises leading home and apparel lifestyle brands, including Ballard Designs, Frontgate, and Garnet Hill. Cornerstone operates eight separate e-commerce sites, distributes more than 300 million catalogs annually, and has 11 retail and outlet stores.
At HSNi, we believe in fostering an authentic, respectful and transparent culture where our 6,000 employees can flourish, be themselves and be respected for their individuality. Diversity drives innovation and enhances the value of our company. It is essential in helping us attract and retain the most qualified talent, be more competitive, and ultimately creates greater business success. HSNi is an Equal Opportunity Employer and believes in an inclusive environment.