Manager of Multimedia Services
Boulder, Colorado, United States, 80301
PLEASE NOTE: This is a full-time replacement position. Initial consideration will be given to applications received prior to 5:00 p.m. MDT on Monday, June 4, 2012. Thereafter, applications will be reviewed on an as-needed basis.
UCAR – Finance & Administration (F&A)
Information Technology Department
Relocation benefits not provided
BASIC JOB FUNCTION: Responsible for the overall management of the UCAR Multimedia Services function within Information Technology. Oversees activities and staff responsible for provisioning and managing Multimedia Services, audio-visual support, and collaborative technologies in a multi-campus environment with over 36 meeting rooms, several auditoria and a large conference/event center. Leads research activities and collaborates with peers to develop strategic plans for collaboration technologies and Unified Communications.
Multimedia Service Management.
Directs the administration and delivery of multimedia services at all UCAR campuses. Services provided include general meeting and audio-visual support, video conferencing, teleconferencing, web conferencing, web casting and audio/video production and post-production. Coordinates the development and documentation of policies, procedures, training and end-user guides for all Multimedia Services functions.
Supervises daily operations of the Multimedia Services department to ensure staffing/resource scheduling is adequate for planned events and problems are resolved in a timely and effective manner. Coordinates the collection of event requirements and oversees operations and maintenance activities to ensure compatibility with client operations and schedules. Serves as a focal point to resolve technical problems that impact system performance, responsiveness and efficiency. Develops and maintains monthly metrics for production services, including performance against SLAs, problem statistics and periodic customer satisfaction surveys. Escalates problems to the Director of Information Technology that may cause missed SLAs.
Develops, maintains and monitors operational and capital equipment budgets for UCAR Multimedia Services. Develops and manages a multi-year plan for capital investments and develops detailed justification for individual capital projects. Manages staff development and performance. Manages large property portfolio.
Multimedia Project Management.
Works with Multimedia Services stakeholders and other IT staff to assess user needs and provide innovative solutions to meet user demands. Provides program management in the following areas:
Develops project feasibility studies, statements of work and business requirements.
Designs, configures, integrates and oversees installation of complex multimedia systems. Acts as primary liaison for multimedia vendors. Develops master project plans and project schedules and monitors work progress against those plans, ensuring budgets and user requirements are met. Ensures project evaluation and documentation is in order upon completing projects.
Participates in relevant institutional committees.
Multimedia Strategic Planning.
Defines the strategic direction, long-range goals and annual objectives to fulfill UCAR’s collaborative technology requirements, including decisions related to the types of services provided, technologies employed, and implementation plans. Works with other UCAR divisions to ensure F&A systems are well integrated within corporate infrastructure.
Stays abreast of new developments and enhancements in the industry and evaluates their application to UCAR. Develops long-term strategies and specific enhancements to ensure UCAR optimizes its return on investment in multimedia technology. Leads efforts to evaluate and select technical, system, and product architectures to support Multimedia strategic plans.
Oversees administration of various multimedia systems at all UCAR sites and provides operational support as required. Plans multimedia productions and provides direction for large and/or complex events.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Communications, Multimedia or computer related field; with
- at least five years of progressive relevant experience; and
- at least three to five years of supervisory experience; or
- an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Expert skill in designing, installing, configuring, integrating, operating, maintaining and troubleshooting multimedia systems/collaboration technologies. (Video conferencing, web casting, web conferencing, presentation hardware and software).
- Extensive experience with projection based display systems and technology.
- Extensive experience with video and audio production techniques and systems. (Producing, directing, system engineering, audio and video capture, lighting and staging).
- Advanced knowledge of and extensive experience with multimedia and web related applications including web conferencing products, desktop and room conferencing products, web casting technologies and postproduction software.
- Advanced skill post-production techniques and systems including linear and non-linear editing, encoding and archiving technologies.
- Thorough understanding of multimedia system protocols including codec’s and IP network protocols.
- Extensive experience with laptop and desktop computers, including Windows and Macintosh operating systems and their multimedia components including video and audio cards, speakers and microphones and multimedia client software.
- Working knowledge of multimedia systems administration practices including standard operating practices and security.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Skill in managing human and fiscal resources.
- Demonstrated project management experience.
- Able to work in mission critical pressure situations.
- Excellent customer service skills including the ability to work with strategic partners and field operations both domestic and internationally.
DESIRED (but not required):
- Polycom Video Conferencing Systems.
- Crestron Control Systems.
- BiAmp and Clear One Audio Systems.
- Vidyo Desktop Conferencing.
- NCast Streaming Systems.
- Wowza Streaming Servers.
- Multimedia applications and web related applications including RealProducer, QuickTime Pro, DreamWeaver, Sound Forge, Macromedia Flash, Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Compressor, Motion, After Effects, DVD Studio Pro, LiveStage Pro, Final Cut Studio (or like), Pro Tools, AG2, VNC, Audia and DaVinci, G-Ware and web conferencing software.
About the Company