Chief Engineer HITN-TV
HITN is seeking an experienced information technology and broadcasting engineering management professional to join its staff as Chief Engineer. The successful candidate will need to be a hands-on leader possessing strong skills in all areas of digital broadcast maintenance, including distribution and encoding platforms, post production/studio/master control functions, computer internet/telecommunication mobile platforms, station infrastructure and design as well as building management.
- Ensuring compliance with all FCC rules and regulations.
- Managing the technical integration of the stations brand and promotional strategy.
- Evaluating and recommending equipment purchases for information technology, engineering and telecommunication
- Overseeing technology/network operations center (NOC), equipment maintenance and distribution and associated staff.
- Content ingest and Digital Asset Archive (DAMS) with associated staff.
- Manage the transition to tapeless HD and MPED-4 AVC for studio operation, NOC and program feeds to affiliates.
- Coordinate and participate with IT department on projects and technical infrastructure needs.
- Knowledge of industry standard media convergence techniques and systems preferred (MPEG-4), streaming media, VOD, DVR ‘s, portable media devices and mobile phone applications.).
- Manage and implement the networks disaster recovery solution for information technology, engineering and telecommunication systems.
- Participate in the preparation of capital and operating budgets.
- Keep management apprised of strategic advances in technology and ensure that technology standards and best practices are maintained across the organization
- Improve and maintain a standard project management methodology and best practice. Initiate and implement new methodologies, process and procedures that will support HITN’s short and long-term goals.
- Maintain current processes and make recommendations for improvement.
- Collaborate with functional areas in the supervision of project personnel, including work allocation, training, and problem resolution.
- Serve as key liaison between the functional groups within IT, IP & Engineering and other HITN business units
The ideal candidate will have experience in scheduling, hiring, training, evaluating engineering and operations personnel as well as creating and maintaining technical operating, and capital budgets.
- Masters in computer science or related field preferred.
- Bachelors in computer technology or Engineering required.
- 5+ years of engineering and Information Technology management experience in a TV network environment and C++, ASEE or BSEE preferred
- 7+ years of experience in telecommunication and broadcast engineering and a thorough knowledge of networking, station automation, desktop digital editing, television production equipment, technology and IT security IP protocols and procedures.
- Strong supervisory, leadership and customer service skills.
- Technical knowledge of station broadcast automation, electronic news and production systems, video editing and graphic arts systems.
- Experience with HVAC, facility power needs, Satellite Uplink and TVRO, fiber optic transport, RF transmitters and two-way radios.
- Ability to set expectations with engineering staff and hold them accountable for results.
- Excellent communications and employee development skills
- Experienced in planning medium and long –range infrastructure needs to support stations broadcast systems.
- Experience working in a multi-cultural organization a plus.
This position may require the individual to walk, travel up to 20%, and possibly lift materials/content up to 25lbs.
About the Company
Hispanic Information and Telecommunications Network Inc. (HITN) is national public media entity with various technology related, not for profit, business activities.
HITN-TV, one of its business activities, is a PBS-like television network. It is the first and only non-commercial network targeting the US Latino Market, reaching over 40 million households throughout the United States and Puerto Rico. It service is distributed over the largest television platform in cable, satellite, Telco’s and internet. It also provides its viewers with content that “educates and entertains” consistent with its mission “to advance the educational, socio-economic and cultural aspirations of the US Latino community.”
HITN is also the leading organization providing educational services, through technology, to the Latino community in the United States.
HITN was recently awarded a major five-year, competitive grant from the US Department of Education Ready To Learn (RTL) program. As the grant recipient, HITN is responsible for developing educational trans-media applications to develop English language skills, early literacy skills and early math skills for pre-school aged children, with a specific focus on addressing the learning needs of Latino youngsters. This is first time in the history of Ready To Learn, that a Hispanic organization is responsible for creating RTL content. HITN is developing educational digital media content targeting schools and kids at home which will be distributed through its own cloud based infrastructure.
HITN is the largest Educational Broadband Service spectrum (EBS) holder in the US, which is licensed by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). Together, these assets provide the basis for an unprecedented opportunity to help fulfill its mission, which is to advance the educational, socio-economic and cultural aspirations of the latino community through these technological assets.