Audio/Visual IT Engineer
Washington, DC, 20431
Audio/Visual IT Engineer
Alternate Job Title: Network Engineer, Broadcast and AV Systems
Help design & maintain a broadcast/AV IT Infrastructure!
Worksite location and Zip Code: Washington, DC 20431
OMNITEC Solutions (http://www.omnitecinc.com) has an immediate employment opportunity for an Audio/Visual IT Engineer (Senior Network/Senior Communications Engineer) to help monitor the design and build out of a new network infrastructure supporting a broadcasting and audiovisual production facility.
We are looking for a SME/Subject Matter Expert with specific experience building out robust platforms designed for high-end/high volume AV and Broadcast Engineering needs. If you have helped build out IT networks for large scale broadcast or AV facilities, we'd like to speak with you!
Our client is actively engaged in a building-wide renovation, which includes a new IP-based audiovisual system. This position will provide for the evaluation of design efforts for new systems, assist in the implementation plans for replacement of outdated systems and provide overall system administration at the completion of the upgrade.
This infrastructure will provide the transport mechanism for audio, video and control signals throughout the building. Recognizing these specific broadcast and AV systems will have unique transport requirements on top of/in addition to current organizational needs, this Engineer will also function as a "Liaison" between all client domains during the planning, installation and operation phases of this new infrastructure. Once complete this individual will provide on-going network system administration to ensure end-user AV and Broadcasting needs are being met, that the system is scaled for growth and expansion of operational requirements, that system upgrades are identified and recommended for implementation, and the system remains operational to support the demands of the AV and Broadcasting operations.
The Audio/Visual IT Engineer shall participate in discussions and meetings between the AV design team, the client IT and Network team, and the End-User representatives to provide guidance and advice on key network characteristics.
Duties and Responsibilities
The individual shall have a broad IT networking background with a working understanding of broadcast/AV operations as they relate to the various aspects of IT. This will include a thorough understanding of operating systems, software updates and patching, network security, network protocols, router configuration, Intrusion Detection and Intrusion Protection Systems, firewalls, and vulnerability mitigation.
The individual should also possess experience in Audio-Visual (AV) design, and maintaining or managing networked AV systems, and should understand networked-based AV transmission protocols. The candidate shall develop and provide alternative solutions and technology plans consistent with the transport of broadcast data over IT networks. This person will ensure a solid understanding of the clients broadcast mission is consistently represented.
Detailed Job duties include:
1. Works closely with the Senior Systems Engineer and associated IT Department personnel to ensure that audiovisual systems function correctly. Provides technical expertise in the field of audiovisual and videoconference systems, encompassing all related disciplines such as operational system support, troubleshooting, monitoring, performance tuning, and documentation;
2. Catalogs and maintains the online database of AV equipment inventory. Maintains system documentation and service manuals related to installation work for diagnostic reference, repairs, and future upgrades. Creates and communicates signal flow diagrams and technical drawings;
3. Monitors service level indicators of equipment using both traditional and online tools and provides guidance for those working with the equipment on a daily basis;
4. Evaluates equipment condition and usability and recommends lifecycle replacement. Recommends upgrades to infrastructure, including replacement of systems and equipment to meet service level agreements.
5. Installs, repairs, tests and troubleshoots equipment as needed, in order to keep systems functional. Coordinates and manages the repair of equipment with outside service personnel and authorized manufacturer service centers.
6. Assists Senior Systems Engineer in training AV technical staff on system(s) setup, operation, basic troubleshooting, equipment features and other related technical matters;
7. Occasionally performs duties outside of regular business hours, evenings and sometimes weekends as workload demands. Maintains the control, video distribution and specialized network infrastructure in support of video production, broadcast and interactive media;
8. Analyzes and rectifies technical faults on equipment, networks and systems. Minimizes loss of service by rapidly identifying and implementing alternative methods of service provision;
9. Troubleshoots and repairs IT-based hardware, software and network technology systems that provide broadcast and AV service. Works with the in-house IT department on common network interfaces across the enterprise. Assists with IT security to ensure compliance or risk mitigation.
1. BSEE preferred with a minimum of 5 years related engineering work experience; or ten or more years work experience with a combination of specialized training in the broadcast and IT systems. CTS certification highly desirable.
2. Strong knowledge of state-of-the industry audiovisual, videoconference, and simultaneous interpretation systems, equipment, tools, standards, and procedures used in first class conference centers. Tools should include cameras, mixers, monitors, digital asset management systems, digital video signal routing and processing, and editing systems. Ability to read schematics and signal flow diagrams. Familiarity with operation/setup/troubleshooting of Crestron and /or AMX control systems.
3. Knowledge of Microsoft Exchange and Group Policy, Active Directory & enterprise management strategies. Familiarity with RTMP, H.264, Flash, Silverlight and related protocols. Experience configuring multi-cast and unicast protocols. Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills.
4. Desirable certifications include: Microsoft Certified System Engineer (MCSE); Microsoft Certified System Administrator (MCSA); Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA).
5. Strong computer skills in a Windows environment with standard MS Office applications and the ability to learn other specialized software;
6. Proficient in cable termination techniques and standards to include but not limited to coax, UTP, serial, analog audio etc. Understanding of LAN/WAN hardware and software for switches, hubs, routers, bridges, modems, multiplexors, and point-to-point data circuits via copper and fiber for audio and video.
7. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, to include the ability to interface directly with customers and resolve complex service problems, with work experience in a multicultural environment a huge plus. Good writing and documentation skills also required.
8. Strong analytical and organizational skills with the ability to prioritize, manage, evaluate, and schedule work in a busy environment. Demonstrated ability to work independently.
Additional Helpful Skills:
- Crestron Control Systems experience preferred;
- CTS I or D Certifications are also highly desirable;
- the ability to obtain a security clearance is helpful as potential cross-program employment opportunities on project teams supporting other federal and/or DOD clients are part of our career development opportunities.
OMNITEC Solutions, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmation Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
About the Company
for more information about OMNITEC Solutions, please visit http://www.omnitecinc.com