Stronger Sales Growth in the European Online Information Market, Survey Says

Jun 13, 2006


      Bookmark and Share

The latest annual survey of the European market for online information, published by information consultancy IRN Research, values the market at €3,513m in 2005, increasing by 14% at current prices compared to 2004. Switching of spending from traditional hard copy sources to online services is the main factor behind this growth, especially in legal, tax, and regulatory (LTR) and scientific, technical, and medical (STM) information markets.

According to the survey, online business information is the largest market segment, accounting for 66% of total online sales in Europe in 2005, with online STM information sales contributing the remaining 34%. Mature business information markets are news and company information and the strongest growth in most countries has occurred in other sectors, such as LTR and market research. Open access initiatives are increasing and focusing on the development of open-access repositories.

The full report, The European Online Information Market 2006, is available directly from IRN Research, priced at $1,130 except for clients in Germany who should contact Online Consultants International GmbH.

(www.irn-research.com)