The digital content explosion is driving opportunities like never before. It’s also creating new challenges as organizations strive to manage the increasing complexity, volume and diversity of digital content and its delivery channels. To unlock the full value of all enterprise digital assets, companies need a new approach to traditional Enterprise Content Management (ECM) – one that manages digital content, in all its forms, to meet today’s requirements for massive scale and sophisticated digital asset management. It’s no longer enough to just facilitate creative processes through file-centric models that generate simplistic workflows and limit performance to departmental silos. New digital asset strategies require hyperscale management of digital assets to drive revenue across the entire business, embedding content into organizational processes with high performance, efficiency and security.
What’s the reward? The ability to achieve true and continuous digital transformation.
Take the massive asset management requirements of a global advertising agency, as an example. The agency needs to both control and manage global advertising assets that have been customized to suit hundreds of local markets. Marketing assets require proper distribution to target audiences around the world, while efficient controls are put into place to manage and monitor the go-to-market timing across respective countries. Everything from video, audio, print, web and other digital media must be orchestrated with precision to optimize financial efficiency. By building a solution to achieve this, ad agencies can realize the benefits of digital transformation and bring new value to all of their global marketing campaign stakeholders.
Or, consider the massive document sharing requirements of mobile telecom giants. These companies manage communications with enterprise clients through a secure extranet portal to handle contracts, invoices, and project documentation, with an emphasis on secure managed access. With document volumes growing exponentially, traditional ECM solutions can’t keep up. Instead, a modular, extensible platform is needed to enable the importing of large numbers of documents via a simple drag-and-drop process, while ensuring security, authentication, and access controls. A hyperscale solution can transform enterprise document collaboration, and eliminate performance issues while driving higher team productivity and better customer satisfaction.
To achieve such innovative content and asset management, global organizations embarking on digital transformation have taken five key steps to build their next generation digital asset solution. These steps include:
- Move beyond media files. For true content and digital asset management, organizations that achieve digital transformation think beyond managing and retaining just content and media files. All digital assets have been put to work across the organization to eliminate friction, drive revenue streams, and create new business models. This eliminates file-centric workflow limitations and barriers, and truly enables a more dynamic object data model for robust engagement across the organization.
- Maximize the full potential of digital assets. By recognizing all digital assets, and maximizing their full potential, you can truly embed them deeply within the business and its processes. This unlocks new opportunities for digital asset usage and enables their policy-based use through specific business processes that may not have otherwise had access to valuable content. Build a solution that uses a limitless number of data attributes to help realize the full value of every hidden asset. Then allow its use without restrictions on asset type, size, or complexity. This will enable you to deploy even the most complex business workflows and data models, mirroring the business with the assets that support innovation.
- Continuously iterate, adapt, and innovate. To remain agile, your digital asset management strategy needs to change at the speed of business, and keep one step ahead. With advanced digital asset management, organizations can quickly embrace new workflows, business processes or knowledge sharing that leverages valuable digital assets. This means you’ll be able to accelerate the creation and adaptation of content-centric workflows. You’ll also improve your ability to leverage powerful visual tools and enhance developer productivity. With a solution that’s flexible and scalable, the opportunities for innovation are limitless – truly driving digital transformation from the business core.
- Bring new life to existing systems. It’s important as you undergo transformative business changes, that you maximize your existing IT investments. Rip and replace strategies are not efficient nor are they fast or cost effective. Organizations that are successful at building the enterprise content and digital asset management solutions of tomorrow leverage existing solutions, and allow employees to continue to use the products they already know. Opt for solutions that support an API-first architecture to enable existing systems, products and data sources to be incorporated “as is” and “in place” so you can make the most of your current investments.
- Achieve cloud-grade elasticity. The more you embrace advanced content and digital asset solutions, the more agility and elasticity your workflows will demand. Build your solution to support cloud-grade elasticity with the capacity for billions of objects and an unlimited number of properties and attributes. This will ensure that your solution is built for the modern cloud world, with the flexibility to support any business demand you may have into the future.
To truly unlock the full value of your enterprise content and digital assets, and break free of the limitations of legacy ECM and digital asset management technology, you need to shift your digital asset strategy to a hyperscale approach. The result will be digital transformation like you’ve never seen for meeting new business demands. From transforming to a new business model or driving digital business growth to maximizing sales or powering new revenue models, unlocking your digital assets is the key.